skip to content | Accessibility Information

How do I? Mail Service

Questions for Mail Service:

  • How to order pre-paid envelopes and where do I get them from?
    To obtain pre-paid envelopes please contact the Central Mail Team on 0161 247 3421 or email We will need your department name and budget code to recharge the envelope service costs. All envelopes will be returned to our office where they will be counted and sent on to you. This counting is for recharge purposes.

    updated 2013-05-21 12:37:24

  • How can I send an item by First Class, Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery?

    All University mail is sent Second Class as standard. If you require an item to be sent by First Class, Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery, you must write this in the top left hand corner of your envelope.

    updated 2012-12-03 11:27:31

  • How often are deliveries and collections made in my building?

    We aim to ensure that all buildings receive two deliveries and collections per day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Please click on your building's page for exact delivery and collection times.

    updated 2014-03-20 13:07:01

  • How do I get mail delivered by courier?

    Please contact the Central Mail Room who will be able to provide cost details and arrange this service for you. Please note that the cost of this service is charged to your department; therefore, a budget code will need to be provided at the time of booking.

    P: x3421

    updated 2012-12-03 11:30:33

  • Can I send or receive personal items through the University Mail Service?
    No. The University does not process any personal mail, either outgoing or incoming.


  • Do I need to separate internal and external mail?

    Yes. Each mail room has two outgoing mail bags: one for internal mail and one for external mail. Please ensure your items are placed in the correct bag.

    Wherever possible and/or appropriate, please use an internal mail envelope to send internal mail.

    updated 2012-12-03 11:29:32

  • What is the difference between second class, first class, recorded and special delivery?
    Please visit the Royal Mail website for details on the difference between postage classes. Should you require an item to be sent First Class, Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery, you must write this in the top left hand corner of your envelope.

    updated 2012-12-03 11:28:30

  • How can I arrange for a bulk mailing to be sent?
    Please see the Mail Services homepage.

    updated 2012-12-03 11:31:37

  • How can I contact Mail Services?


    Phone: All Saints Campus: ext 3421

    Crewe Campus: ext 5572

    Didsbury Campus: ext 2019

    Gaskell Campus: ext 2466

    Hollings Campus: ext 2602

    Minshull Building: ext 1365

    updated 2012-12-03 11:42:57

  • Where is mail collected from / delivered to in my building?
    Please visit the staff area and select your building for the location of your nearest mail collection/delivery point.


  • How should I address internal mail?

    It is vital that the following details are included on all internal mail envelopes:

    • Full name
    • Job Title
    • Department
    • Building

    Failure to correctly address your internal mail items will result in your delivery being delayed or your item being returned to you for completion.

    Please remember, your Mail Services team are only as good as the address on the article of mail

    updated 2014-03-20 13:07:34

  • What is the latest time that I can post an external item?

    The last Royal Mail collection from the Central Mailroom is 15:30 prompt; any mail arriving at the Central Mailroom after 14:45 cannot be guaranteed to have same day dispatch. If you have urgent mail to post after your department's last collection this must be hand delivered to the Central Mailroom prior to 14:45. For outlying buildings please contact your local Mail Messenger for advice.

    The latest acceptance time for a mailing of more than 500 items is 12:45.

    updated 2014-03-20 13:06:32

  • Which delivery locations are classed as internal mail?

    All MMU campus buildings are classed as internal delivery locations. In addition, Internal deliveries are also made to Broomhurst, Boothhall, Daisy Bank Halls and Manchester Student Homes (Mon/Wed/Fri).

    We also operate a daily mail service to the University of Manchester.

    Please ensure all items for delivery to these locations are deposited in the Internal Mail Bag of your building’s Mail Room.


  • How can I send an item by Airmail?
    Airmail must be marked accordingly and have a blue ‘Airmail’ sticker attached. Airmail stickers can be obtained by contacting the Central Mail Room. All overseas mail must have the country clearly shown.


  • How can I order more internal mail envelopes?

    Please contact the Central Mail room who will be happy to arrange this for you.

    P: x3421