skip to content | Accessibility Information

Financial Support for Disabled Students

What additional financial support available to disabled students?
Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) can provide you with help for extra costs as a result of a disability, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty.  The DSA can help with specialist equipment, non-medical helpers and travel costs. The DSA does not have to be repaid. You can get more information about Disabled Students' Allowances from the from the website.

You can get more information about Disabled Students' Allowances from the booklet, 'Extra Help - Disabled Students' Allowance'. You can download a copy of this booklet from the website.

If you qualify for the disability premium or severe disability premium you may be eligible for the Special Support Grant. This is a grant of up to £3387.  If you receive the Special Support Grant you will not receive the Maintenance Grant, however unlike the Maintenance Grant the Special Support Grant will not affect how much student loan you receive. If you enrolled after September 2016 you may be eligible for a higher rate of maintenance loan.

Access to Learning Fund
When you have enrolled on your course you can also apply to the Access to Learning Fund.  This is a discretionary fund so not everyone gets an award, but disabled students are a priority group for support from the fund.

Can I apply for any benefits?
Depending on your individual circumstances you may be able to apply for certain benefits.  For more information visit the Directgov website.

The Disability Service at MMU acts as a contact within the University for students, and potential students who have disabilities.  Disability Advisers can provide information, advice and support to students about the resources which are available to them, both within the University and from other external agencies.

Disability Advisers can also assist you with your application for the DSA, Student Finance Authorities or other relevant funding bodies as appropriate. Contact the Disability Service on Tel: 0161 247 3491 or email or visit their web pages at