skip to content | Accessibility Information

Postgraduate Funding

How much will it cost?
The two main expenses you will incur are tuition fees and living expenses. Fees for postgraduate study vary according to course.  Your fees should be provided in the course listings in our online prospectus.


How do I pay my fees?
Information about how to pay fees is outlined here.


Alumni Loyalty Discount
Eligible MMU alumni can receive a 20% discount on their tuition fees when enrolling as a new student on an eligible full-time or part-time postgraduate taught course September 2017. For the purpose of the discount, the term alumni is used to define former students who have successfully completed a Manchester Metropolitan University undergraduate degree (excluding HND or Foundation Degree), PGCE or GDL and who meet the requirements for entry to a postgraduate taught programme at Manchester Metropolitan University.

If you graduated in 2009 or after (and you and your chosen course meet the eligibility criteria), the discount will be applied automatically and you will receive a confirmation email prior to the start of term.

If you graduated before 2009 (and you and your chosen course meet the eligibility criteria), please email for advice.

For full information about the scheme, including which courses are eligible for the discount, please visit our Alumni Loyalty Discount webpage. If you are unable to find the information you need on this webpage, you can email our Loyalty Awards team at


Can I apply for any government loans or grants to help me with my postgraduate studies?
The government has announced that students enrolling onto a postgraduate course starting in or after September 2016 will be able to apply for a loan to contribute towards the cost of their course. Full details and eligibility will be announced on the website. If you are already enrolled on a postgraduate course or do not meet the eligibility for the new postgraduate loans you can look at other options for funding yourself. There are several options worth looking into for finding financial support, some of which are detailed below.


Professional and Career Development Loans
Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans that can be used to help pay for courses and training that help with your career or help you get into work. Eligible students can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning (or three years if it includes one year's relevant unpaid practical work). The Young People's Learning Agency will pay the interest on the loan while you are learning and for one month afterwards.

The loan can be used to pay:

  • course fees (up to 80% of the total or 100% if registered as unemployed for 3 months or more)
  • course costs such as books, travel and childcare
  • living expenses like rent, food and clothing (if you are unemployed or working less than 30 hours per week)

You can also use the loan to supplement other forms of support such as grants or bursaries.

Because the Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial loan product, they should only be considered as an option once all other student funding options have been investigated.

For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the website or contact Careers Advice on 0800 100 900.

Our learning provider registration number is: 2077.

You may also wish to contact MMU Careers Advice.


Course-Specific Funding
Some of the University’s departments provide funding for students studying certain courses. Check with the relevant department to see if there is any funding available for your course. A list of the available scholarships for our postgraduate taught courses is available here.


Educational Trusts
Trusts and charities may be able to help with postgraduate study, but awards are relatively small and may be competitive. You can find information about some educational grants on the Family Action’s Grants Programmes website.


Social Security Benefits
Most full-time students are not eligible to claim social security benefits such as Job Seeker's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.  Exceptions to this rule include lone parents and students with certain disabilities. In addition, there are special rules relating to part-time study. Students who think they may be eligible can seek specialist benefits advice from Your Advice Centre at The Student’s Union. You can also visit the Student Section of the Department for Work and Pensions website. You might also find the following website useful:

Part-time students may be able to claim Job Seeker's Allowance or other benefits in certain circumstances. The rules of entitlement for students claiming social security benefits are complicated and students who think they may be eligible can seek specialist advice from Your Advice Centre.


Further information
For further information on funding options for postgraduate study, you may find the following websites useful: