skip to content | Accessibility Information

Health Advice

All students of the University are required to register with a local doctor on arrival in Manchester.You will still be able to see your family doctor as a 'visitor' when at home during vacations. If you continue to live at home whilst studying, you may remain with your own doctor.

Registration with a local doctor is essential if you are to receive treatment for an illness or other medical condition, either by attending the surgery or receiving a visit in an emergency. It is easy to put this off, but if you need advice or treatment in the future, it is much easier if you are already registered and can save you stress and valuable time.

You can find information about local doctors, opticians, dentists and pharmacies at

If you feel unwell and want advice on what to do please call 111. This is the NHS advisory line when you need medical help but it is not an emergency call or if you do not know what to do. This service is available 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Find out more here.

If you do have an emergency, call 999.

Local Medical services


The Arch Medical Practice
175 Royce Road
M15 5TJ

Tel:0161 226 0606
Fax:0161 226 5644
Out of Hours: 0161 226 0606

The doctors and practice nurse can be seen by appointment only. Please call 0161 226 0606 to make an appointment or call into the surgery.

If you need to see a doctor urgently and cannot wait until the following day the surgery may be able to arrange an emergency appointment.

For more information please contact:
The Arch Medical Practice, Tel: 0161 226 0606

There is also a walk-in centre just south of the All Saints Campus:
Central Manchester Walk-in Centre
Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, M13 9WL, Tel: 0161 276 1234


Gresty Brook Surgery, Brookhouse Drive, Crewe 01270 650 012
Earnswood Medical Centre, Dunwoody Way, Crewe 01270 376 666
Hungerford Medical Centre, School Crescent 01270 275 949

Details of other walk-in centres can be found by entering your postcode on the page

Sexual Health

The Hathersage Centre (280 Upper Brook Street, Manchester M13 0FH) provides comprehensive contraception and sexual heath services to people of all ages.

'Fresh' is a new service based at the Hathersage Centre for the under 25s, offering free contraception, pregnancy testing, emergency contraception, condoms, advice and referrals for termination, testing for sexually transmitted infections, and someone to talk to for general sexual health advice.

The Hathersage Centre and other sexual health centres in Manchester
Cheshire resources for sexual health

Prescription costs

Students aged 19 years and over are not automatically entitled to free prescriptions or dental treatment; however, you may be eligible to apply for assistance using a HC1 form, which is available from doctors' surgeries or requested online at NHS Low Income Scheme.

International students

International students following a course lasting 6 months or more, and all students from EU countries, are eligible to obtain free health care from the National Health Service from the beginning of the course, as are their spouse and children - but NOT visiting relatives. You need to take a letter of enrolment from the University to register with a doctor near where you live. Please make arrangements to register with a doctor as soon as you arrive. It is helpful if you bring your vaccination history with you.

If you are on a course of less than 6 months you should take out health care insurance, unless you are from an EU country or a country with a reciprocal health arrangement for free health care.

See: for more information.

MMU 'First Aider' service

The University has trained and appointment over 130 members of staff to act as First Aiders. You should make yourself aware of the name and location of your nearest First Aider. Notice boards are posted throughout the University listing the relevant information. A first aid/rest room is available for use on most sites, and access to these rooms can be gained by contacting a First Aider.

If you have an accident on campus you should go to the nearest office to complete an accident report form.

Remember to seek first aid for all injuries, however slight!

Counselling, Health and Wellbeing

Counselling, Health and Wellbeing offers you the chance to talk to a professionally trained counsellor, in confidence, about any personal problems you may have. Both individual and group counselling is available free to all students registered with the University. All the Counsellors work to the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.

Counselling, Health and Wellbeing also runs workshops and courses on issues such as relaxation, stress management and confidence building. Find out more at their web site.
For an appointment please call 0161 247 3493 or email

Out of hours support for those experiencing a mental health crisis:

The Samaritans, 24 hour helpline: 116 123
Crisis Point, an open-access mental health crisis centre: 0161 225 9500
Accident and Emergency department at the Manchester Royal Infirmary: 0161 276 1234.

Disability Service

Manchester Metropolitan University is committed to providing equal opportunities in education to all students. Disability Service provides information, advice and support to students about resources available to them, both within the University and from external sources. The service is available for students with physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on threir ability to perform normal day-to-day activities. Contact Disability Service at or 0161 247 3491, as there may be support mechanisms which can be put in place.

Procedure for sickness certification

The procedure is noted within the Exceptional Factors framework in section 9 of this document:Procedure for Consideration of Exceptional Factors

Absences of one to six days duration should be reported to your Head of Department using the Student Self Certificate for Absence due to Illness (Form SSC1) a copy of which can be found in the Student Hubs. You should also notify your programme's Engagement Monitoring officer. A list of emails and guidance on attendance may be found here. Absences of 7 days or more require a medical certificate.

If you are prevented through illness from attending or undertaking any examinations or assessment, you must obtain a medical certificate immediately for your submission to your Head of Department.

Exceptional Factors

Often students feel their studies are being affected by problems outside of their course, such as illness or personal difficulties. In these circumstances students can submit an Exceptional Factors form. These forms and guidance are available online or in person at a Student Hub. The Students' Union Advice Centre provides independent assistance with submitting exceptional factors.

Disclosure of information

If you have any long term complaint or condition, which may affect your ability to study you should ensure that your Head of Department and, if relevant, hall warden, is advised in confidence.

Further Information