skip to content | Accessibility Information

Awards & Conferments

Services we provide


Certificates are printed throughout the year.

If your final assessments and examinations are in the months of May, June and July, we usually begin mailing out these certificates in early October. Due to the large numbers we are dealing with (up to 10,000 certificates) you should expect to have received your certificate by the end of October at the very latest. At other times of the year certificates are normally posted within 4-6 weeks of your qualification being awarded

If you have not received your certificate within 3 months of qualifying for your award, please email

If you notify us of non-delivery more than 3 months after your completion of your course, we will charge a certificate re-print fee of £45.

Please note that if you owe any money to the University we will withhold your certificate until the debt is settled in full.

Certificates and transcripts are posted to your correspondence address. If no correspondence address has been provided we will post your certificate and transcript to your permanent address. You will have the opportunity to check and amend your correspondence address when you register through the Graduation Booking System. This is for certificate and transcript posting only.

It is your responsibility to inform the University if you change your address.

For information regarding certificates and transcripts following the Graduation Ceremonies please visit certificates


A transcript lists the modules undertaken, credit value and grades achieved during each academic session. A final transcript is sent to the permanent address of all students shortly after the completion of their course.

Please note there is no guarantee that a full transcript can be produced, particularly for students who completed their course a long time ago.

Please note that if you owe any money to the University we will withhold your certificate and transcript until the debt is settled in full.

Transcripts (prior to Summer 2014)

If you have not received your transcript and would like a copy, this can be arranged by contacting who will forward your request to the relevant faculty. The faculties may charge for this service.

Transcripts (Summer 2014 onwards)

If you have not received your transcript within 3 months of qualifying for your award, please email

If you notify us of non-delivery more than 3 months after your completion of your course , we will charge a transcript re-print fee of £15.

For further information about Transcripts, Certificates and Verification Letters, please see Awards and Conferments.

Changes to your certificate or transcript after graduation

There is a growing problem with identity theft and qualification fraud. It is therefore very important that we preserve the integrity of MMU certification. Our certificates have built in anti-tamper features. In addition, we do not permit changes to personal details that arise after graduation. Our certificates and transcripts will reflect your name and date of birth as they were at the time of graduation.

We cannot change the name on the certificate, because, for example, you marry and change your family name after your qualification has been awarded, or because you have subsequently changed your name by deed poll,

Naming conventions

The following are not recorded on certificates and transcripts and their absence does not signify a mistake that will be corrected;

1) Numbers within the name, for example Sammy Davies Junior III or James Bond 007.

2) Except for Honorary and DSc awards, no titles such as Sir, Dr, Reverend, Lord, Right Honourable etc. are printed on certificates. A PhD is awarded to John Smith, not to Dr John Smith. The title of Dr is acquired as a consequence of the award, after it has been made

3) Names that the University reasonably believes are frivolous.

4) Initials in place of full names, for example John W Smith, instead of John William Smith

Minor correction of current name

You will have the opportunity to check how your name will appear on your certificate, when you register for graduation at the beginning of the summer term. If the names don't match up, you can request an amendment directly into the Graduation on-line system. A copy of the passport will be required as evidence.

At any other time prior to graduation you can check your name on the Student Contact Management System, or at your local SIP or Student Life Office and request an amendment to be made, so that the name matches the passport.

You are strongly advised to photocopy the ID pages of your passport and store the copy with your certificate.

As an International Student (a national of countries outside the EU) you are strongly recommended to check prior to graduation that the name on the University's student record matches exactly the name on the current version of your passport. This should include any abbreviations or other markers that are customary to the state that issued your passport. If you are a visa national, your certificate should be issued in the name by which you are registered with UKBA.

Request for significant change to current details

If you are a Tier 4 international student and you wish to request a name change, because for example you have married, or  your date of birth is incorrect, because of an error on the record, the relevant administrator must be obtain formal approval from the MMU International Compliance and Experience Manager, before amending your record.

Replacement Certificates

You can only have one copy of your certificate but if your original certificate has been lost, stolen or damaged then you can obtain a replacement as follows:

MMU Awards

If you completed your course from September 1992 onwards then we can provide a replacement for a fee. To place an order, click here to request a replacement certificate.. Please note that if you require certificates for more than one course then you should use a separate form for each certificate and pay £45 per certificate. Certificates will normally take around 4 weeks to produce but could take longer at busy periods (May-July).

Other Awarding Bodies

Certificates awarded before September 1992 fall into the following 4 categories. (If you are not sure when you completed your course then you can contact us to check how you should order your certificate)

1) CNAA (Council for National Academic Awards)
CNAA was the awarding body for many Manchester Polytechnic courses including most degree and PGCE courses. CNAA no longer exists but the Open University are now responsible for their records and can provide replacement certificates. Go to for more information.

2) BTEC (now known as Edexcel)
You can obtain replacement certificate for pre-1993 BTEC awards (such as HND or HNC) from Edexcel. Go to for more information.

3) Manchester Polytechnic Awards
We are no longer able to provide a replacement certificate for Manchester Polytechnic Awards (eg. Polytechnic Certificate or Polytechnic Diploma). However, you can request a Letter of Verification.

4) Other awarding bodies
A few qualifications were awarded by bodies other than those mentioned above. If you contact us we may be able to help you find the awarding body or provide a letter to verify your award.

Certified Copies of Certificates and Transcripts

We can certify photocopies of certificates and transcripts in order to confirm their authenticity. Please email your request together with a copy of your certificate and/or transcript.

These requests can take up to 5 working days to process, and during very busy times (particularly May to July) up to a fortnight or possibly longer.

To request a Certified Copy please contact us:

Verification Letter

We can provide a letter that states your dates of attendance and final result.
For graduates of the former Manchester Polytechnic we will include a statement explaining our transition to university status.

Please click on the link below to order a verification letter.
These requests can take up to 5 working days to process, and during very busy times (particularly May to July) up to a fortnight or possibly longer.

Please Note: If you have recently completed your course, and are still awaiting your certificate, we can provide a verification letter. Please email us, giving your name, MMU ID, course title and address and we will send you a letter.

Request Verification Letter

Special Requirements, eg for overseas government agencies

If you have been asked to provide your documents in a sealed, stamped envelope or have any other special requirements please contact us and we will do our best to help you.

Prospective Employers and Employment Agencies

Verification of Attendance Dates and Awards

We are pleased to announce the implementation of the Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD) online verification service for employers and agencies to verify Manchester Metropolitan University awards.

Please note that this service is only for third parties.

The system has been developed by Graduate Prospects, in consultation with universities, employers and screening agencies. Funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and launched by Graduate Prospects, HEDD is now being rolled out to institutions throughout the UK.

The online candidate verification service allows registered enquirers to input data provided by applicants (name, date of birth, institution, year of graduation, qualification classification etc).

How to register

To make an enquiry you need to register with HEDD by visiting Select ‘Manchester Metropolitan University’ from the list of UK higher education institutions and choose the option to 'verify a degree award'. There is a charge of £12 per enquiry. If you require further assistance, please email You will also be required to upload a consent form.

Making an enquiry

You will need the:

Full name at the time of studying
Date of birth
Full course title
Year of graduation

If you require dates of attendance/study, please also request this at the time of making the enquiry.

We recommend that you ask to see the degree certificate if there is one, and use that as the basis of your verification enquiry, or ask individuals to give you their data as they believe it’s recorded in the student records system.


If you have any problems or queries, please email, including your phone number if you would like a call back.

Contact Us

Awards & Conferments
Room 2.01
Student Administration
Manchester Metropolitan University
New Business School
All Saints Campus
M15 6BH
United Kingdom
Tel:  +44 (0)161 247 1980

For all other student services please contact the Service Delivery Co-ordination Team:
Tel. +44(0)161 247 5959

Graduation Ceremonies

For information about Graduation Ceremonies please visit